Mar 22, 2012

Obsidian By: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Publishing 
Pages: 292
Rating: 5/5

 Starting over sucks.
     When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.                                                                           
 And then he opened his mouth.                                       
      Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.                                                                            
 The hot alien living next door marks me.                         
     You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.                                                                                                                     
 If I don't kill him first that is. 
   Obsidian is the first book to author Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series. Let me just start of by saying how good, not good but great Obsidian is/was/and forever will be! I'm seeing a great trend with Jennifer Armentrout's novels- she's quickly become one of my many favourite YA authors. After finishing this book late last night I found myself a little depressed that I had to wait so long for the next book......frown-y face, boooo.....

What I Loved...

   After reading the first paragraph in the book, I immediately fell in love with Katy's character! Why's that you ask? Well, dear Katy is a book blogger! A book blogger! Seriously guys, you should have seen the smile that blew up on my face when I read this- it was so big, it was embarrassing. Aside from the major bonus points Katy got from being a fellow bookworm, she's also a very strong heroine to me. Her "arguments" with Daemon always showed off her total bad-ass side, especially during a certain "spaghetti" scene hehe. But I think what I loved most of all about Katy was how she showed how brave and smart she is at the end of the book- specifically during the last chapter.


   Awww the romance in this book was just so addicting. I'm not sure if you can call it romance quite yet but the attraction between Katy and Daemon was more than just delightful to read. I found myself hopelessly waiting for another moment where these two would be stuck together. Their bantering was hilarious and sexy all at the same time and their, ahem, "epic make-out" had me wanting more! Armentrout definitely has a way of writing great steamy reads. I'm really, I mean really, looking forward to seeing how much hotter these two will get. Daemon = HOT *turns up AC* Dayummm...

   A unique quality to Obsidian was the focus on Aliens. Yeah, I said Aliens- You've heard of ET (which by the way, that movie scared the bajeezes out of me when I was younger....still kind of creeps me out). I don't think I've ever read a book about complete and total aliens before. It was new territory for me- which is really saying something because I've read hundreds of books. I also really appreciated that Armentrout didn't make the supernatural beings in her story immortal- it seems as if a lot of books I've been reading have the barrier of immortality in their relationship. Armentrout's take on aliens made aliens feel more glamorous rather than being icky green things that wear giant fish tanks on their heads.

The Cover...

The models that play Katy and Daemon are really just perfect- they just draw you into the cover. After reading an interview with the models here, I was surprised and pleased to find out that these two are a real life couple. How sweet! They are also on the cover for the next book in the Lux series.  Real-life-good-looking couples rock!

Favourite Quotes...

“Aliens—if they exist—are little green men with big eyes and spindly arms or…or giant insects or something like a lumpy little creature.” 
Daemon let out a loud laugh. “ET?” “Yes! Like ET, asshole. I’m so glad you find this funny.” 

~~~~~~


“Anyway, back to the kids." 
"Well, one is a girl who looks about your age, and there's a boy." She grinned as she stood. "He's a hottie." A tiny piece of egg caught in my throat. It was seriously gross to hear Mom talking about boys my age. "Hottie? Mom that's just weird.” 


~~~~~~


“Because this absolutely insane - the craziest thing I'd ever done. Worse than giving a one-star review, scarier than asking for an interview with an author I'd give my firstborn to eat lunch with, more stupid than kissing Daemon.”


~~~~~


"You like Simon?" His chin jerked up, anger flashing in his emerald eyes. "You can't possibly like him." 

... "Are you jealous? ... Your jealous of Simon?" I lowered my voice. "Of a human? For shame, Daemon.” 

Overall...


     Overall Obsidian was an addicting, thrilling, and downright smokin' sexy read- really, this book should come with a complimentary fan. *fans herself*  Onyx, book two, is set to be released on August  14,2012. Although August seems like a long time away, be sure to check out Shadows- the prequel to Obsidian about Daemon's brother Dawson, and his love for a human named Bethany. There are also some great Extras from Obsidian on Jennifer L. Armentrout website here! Extras include Daemon's POV from the Homecoming Dance and the "Laptop Scene." Ooo la la.


   For those of you who don't already know, one of my favourite blogs is hosting a Jennifer L. Armentrout Tourney where you can all vote for your favourite characters from the Covenant and Lux Series. I have to say, I am now completely torn on whether I'll be rooting for Daemon or Aiden (from the Covenant Series). Let me know your thoughts on Obsidian in the comments and be sure to follow me on twitter! Keep Reading- Katy wants you to!

Your YA Bookworm,
Caitlin <3

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...