May 7, 2012

Divergent By: Veronica Roth Review

Add To Goodreads
Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 496
Rating: 5/5
 In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.                                                                                
   During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.
     Divergent is the first instalment in a trilogy by author Veroncia Roth. Divergent was released earlier last year in the spring. Yes, I know what you might be thinking...."Uhhh Caitlin?! Why have you only read this amazing-fantastical book NOW?!" Unfortunately, I cannot explain stupidity...but I'll try. I've seen this book at my bookstore every time I go (which, is quite a bit actually) and EVERY time I looked at Divergent I thought "that's just another Hunger Games."  Luckily, my brilliant mother decided to read Divergent after reading the Hunger Games trilogy and she could not stop raving about this book. What can I say.....Moms really do know best! I spent my whole Sunday devouring this 496 page work of art *blows kisses at screen* Oh how I love it so!

     I have to start off by saying that DIVERGENT is definitely no Hunger Games- if anything, it's A LOT better! The characters are more likeable  and the plot of the story is way more intriguing.  Divergent essentially is about a girl named Tris who lives in a society that is divided up into five factions (groups). When Tris turns sixteen, she, as well as others her age, must take a special "test" that determines which faction they should belong to (the choice is ultimately their own). But after her test, Tris' results make it unable for her to be categorized into a single faction- Tris is a Divergent. The whole book goes through Tris' struggle to uncover the mystery of what it means to be a Divergent as well as finding her place among a new faction away from home.

     My favourite part of the entire book had to be that.....drum roll please.....there was NO love triangle! Hazahh! Cheers loudly! But have no fears ladies....there is definitely lots of swoon worthy scenes between Tris and Four aka. Tobias (which I still have no idea how to pronounce -_-) But other than for Tobia's difficult-to-read name, the romance between Tris and Tobias made me smile and giggle all the time- the love story was actually a lot more dominate than I originally thought it would be. I can't wait to see how their relationship progresses in Insurgent :D  *giggles* Come on, who else loved Tobias' "claustrophobic fear" scene?! ;)

     Tris' character, overall is really great. She's smart, powerful, and a little reckless- all the things a great heroine needs don't you think?! Christina was another favourite of mine. She, as well as others, really helped in lightening the mood and even made me crack a few laughs here and there. For reasons I can't explain, by the end of Divergent, I really felt bad for both Chirstina and Al :'(

Favourite Quotes...

"Statistically speaking...you should have hit the target at least once by now, even by accident...  I think you’re actually defying nature."

~~~~~

"Okay. Then...I can talk. Ask me something."
"Okay." He laughs shakily in my ear. "Why is your heart racing Tris?"

~~~~~

Four flips the gun in this hand, presses the barrel to Peter’s forehead, and clicks a bullet into place. Peter freezes with his lips parted, the yawn dead in his mouth. “Wake. Up,” Four snaps. “You are holding a loaded gun, you Idiot. Act like it.”

Overall...

     Overall I'm so thankful that my mom "showed me the light" and got me to read this book. Divergent was a unique, addicting and thrilling read that has made me giddy with excitement for book two, Insurgent. Insurgent came out just last week so once I'm able to sneak it away from my mom's hands, I'll be reading it :P If you've read Divergent, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and check out Veronica Roth's summary of Divergent here to get you fully prepared for the awesomeness that is Insurgent :P  Keep Reading!

Your Y.A. Bookworm,
Caitlin <3


3 comments:

  1. I didn't like Divergent as much as THG trilogy. I liked Katniss a lot more than Tris because she was so much more capable and independent. I feel like Tris is self-loathing and makes questionable decisions at times. However I do like Four a lot. Divergent was good and it was a lot better than Insurgent! I am looking forward to the last book, I'm glad you like the series!

    P.s. I think Tobias is pronounced like Toe-bye-us lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha- Toe-bye-us...maybe I've been pronouncing it right all along :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...