Jul 8, 2012

Florence By: Ciye Cho

Florence
Author: Ciye Cho
Publisher: Self published
Rating: 4/5
*Copy provided by author for review*

Seventeen-year-old Florence Waverley is out of her depth. Literally. Kidnapped and taken below the waves to the mer world of Niemela, she is the ultimate gift for merman Prince Kiren: a human familiar tied to his side. But nothing is what it seems amid the beauty and danger of a dark ocean.

Every Niemelan has a role to play, from the mermaids who weave towers out of kelp to the warriors who fight sea monsters. But in trying to survive, Florence will end up in the middle of a war between the mer and the Darkness. A conflict that will push her between two brothers: Kiren, the charmer inexplicably drawn to both her and the monsters; and Rolan, the loner who has been pushing her away since the day they met. But in order to take a stand--and find out where she belongs--Florence will have to risk it all: her life, her heart... and her very soul.



   Florence is a book by author Ciye Cho that was released just a few days ago on July 1, 2012. When I was first approached by the author to review Florence, I was immediately hooked by just reading the synopsis. The unique storyline and intriguing male leads made me absolutely anxious to start reading- I finished it in about a day!


   The main character Florence has always been invisible- and she intends to keep it that way. Never has she had a place in the world, never has she belonged. This all begins to change when she is kidnapped and taken to a special place called Niemla (a place where mermaids exist) where she then comes in contact with Prince Kiren and Rolan- two of Niemla's best fighters. Here, Florence finally feels like she has a purpose,  a purpose to fight and stand for what she believes in no matter what.


   I love it when I see a character experience growth throughout the course of a novel- Florence is a perfect example of this. Once she is in Niemla, not only can she understand the mermaids' strange language, but she also discovers how unique she actually is. By the end of the book, I really felt that she had gained a lot of confidence that she lacked at the begging of the story. It was a wonderful change to see!

   For all you lovers of love out there, you won't be disappointed with what Ciye Cho brings forth. There is an intriguing romance that builds between one of the Princes- which one? I'll never tell ;) But I will say I was a bit surprised, and at first upset when I found out where the story was heading. But by the end of the novel, I was pretty satisfied with where things left off. Although, I am curious as to whether or not a possible love triangle will brew in the second book....

   Ciye Cho's descriptions of Niemla make you wish all books could take place in such a unique setting. In addition, I also loved reading about mer people- I don't think I've ever read a Y.A. book about mermaids before....it was quite the experience! I always love it when I'm able to read something completely new to me- it makes reading that much more interesting.

Favourite Quotes...

 "You can learn a lot about people from watching them. That's what my father used to say.""It's funny you should say that," said Kiren."What do you mean?" I asked.The prince shrugged, "Well, something tells me that you don't like being watched, Florence."

The merman handed me back the camera. I looked at the display to see my pale face staring back at me. It was probably the clearest picture I’d ever seen of myself. I turned to look at him.“Why… did you do that?” I asked.“Because I want you to see what I see,” he told me quietly.

Overall...

   Overall Florence was an entertaining and light read. I really can't wait to see how these characters continue to grow in book two, and how they deal with the darkness ahead. The book ended in a cliffhanger that has left me pondering and anxious for more. Be sure to check this book out- it's a unique and amazing Y.A. read! A quick thank-you to Ciye Cho for providing me with the opportunity to review such a great book- one of the great things that have come from blogging is getting the chance to discover such wonderful stories that I wouldn't have discovered before. Don't forget to check out the book trailer for FLORENCE below!  Keep Reading!


Your Y.A. Bookworm,
Caitlin <3







5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds really interesting. I'm definitely going to check this one out. :)
    New Follower
    Daniela @ YA Book Season
    http://www.yabookseasons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! Thanks for the follow- I followed back :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Caitlin!
    I saw in the main chatroom on Book Blogs that you were asking for followers...
    So I followed you :D
    I love all your buttons, especially the ones for team Astley and Team Ash ^^
    All the Best and looking forward to more great reviews from you!
    Emily
    http://anythinginfantasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following Emily- I followed you back ! Oh, I love fellow Team Astely and Ash readers ! Can't believe both those series are over :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...