Jul 28, 2012

Sweet Evil By: Wendy Higgins Review

Add To Goodreads
Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 447
Rating: 5/5 !!
Embrace the Forbidden 
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences? 
This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels. 
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna. 
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

     Sweet Evil is the first instalment in the Sweet Trilogy by author Wendy Higgins. This novel was originally posted on Harper Teen's Inkpop (Now Figment.com....Learn more HERE) and was then picked up by Harper Teen for publishing! Wendy Higgins' journey to getting published is actually really interesting- you should all read about it on her blog here :) Now I have to admit, I've been holding off on writing this review because I really don't want to accept that I've "officially" completed this book. There's not a single word to describe it, so I'll use two- addicting and sexy! And when I mean sexy, I mean VA-VA-VOOM, holy guacamole, where's my fan?!

     Now before I go into full on swoon mode, I want to make sure I talk about the other great things in this book that are not Kaidan Rowe *slaps herself* Must not think about him...Must not think about him...Anna's character was a very strong female lead in my opinion. There was quite a visible growth in her character from beginning to end. At first, Wendy is a very vulnerable character (especially once she starts having feelings for Kaidan) but by the end, there's a bit of spunk in her. Not only does she fight for what's right, but she also has determination in doing the things that need to be done in certain situations (while still having that vulnerable side to her). I don't want to spoil anything, so all I'll say is that there were more than a few scenes that had be impressed with Anna. 

     The pace of this book was fantastic, and a bit surprising. I like to compare the pace of Sweet Evil to that of a standalone novel. Between Anna and Kaidan's first meeting, and Anna's self-discovery, there was a lot packed into this book (In no way do I think this is a bad thing). I actually loved how well the story moved along because it made it absolutely impossible to stop reading! The plot of the story was also quite original in my eyes. Yes, although it roots from the history of demons and angels, the way it was presented was unlike anything I've ever read.

     Now, my lovelies, bare with me as I enter Swoon territory....Departure time? Never! *Muhaha* The romance and chemistry between Kaidan and Anna was, I think, one of the sexiest attractions I've ever read. And I think what sets this book apart from some of the other romances I've read this summer was the "dark" aspect of the story. Kaidan is the bloody son of the Duke of Lust....LUST! How much sexier can it get? Yes, the pairing between Anna and Kaidan might have been predictable, but nothing could prepare me for their sizzling interactions. For the past few nights I haven't been able to start a new novel because I'm addicted to rereading the steaminess that is Kaidan Rowe. Don't believe me? Take a look at that hotness up to my right......*stares in awe*......Your welcome........*Sigh* I really can't see how anyone would be able to resist the steamy connection between Anna and Kaidan *looks at picture again* Seriously.... just look at him.....0_0

Favourite Quotes...

“He was smoking hot. As in H-O-T-T, hott. I’d never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra t. This guy was extra-t-worthy.” 

~~

“What are you doing?” 
“I...” He appeared to have no idea himself. “I wanted to see your freckle.” 

A vulnerable tenderness flashed across his face, more painful to see than the coldness. It took every ounce of strength I had not to 

beg for one last kiss. As fast as his expression had softened, it was back to stone again. 
“What do you want from me, Kai?” 
“For starters?” His voice lowered to sexy, dangerous depths. “I want to introduce myself to every freckle on your body.” 

~~

"What time will Patti be calling?"
I managed a glimpse at the clock, feeling his mouth on my collarbone.
"Not for an hour," I whispered.
"That simply is not going to be enough time."

Overall...

     Overall if those quotes didn't get you fanning yourself...I don't know what will! Sweet Evil was my favourite read of the year so far- I can't get enough of all the sweet sexiness! A must-read! Unfortunately book two in the Sweet Evil Trilogy, Sweet Hope, won't be out for a while. The sequel still hasn't been picked up by Harper Teen (Why? I have no idea) but Wendy Higgins has been keeping us all updated. I think it's safe to say we can expect lots more sexiness in book two- probably also an introduction of a love triangle that was hinted at towards the end of Sweet Evil *Booo- Team Kaidan Forever!!* Have you read Sweet Evil before? Love or hate Kaidan? Let me know your thoughts in the comments and be sure to check out the trailer below! Keep Reading!


Your Y.A. Bookworm,
Caitlin <3


9 comments:

  1. I loved this book.
    Kaidan is really hott! :P
    Good review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed- Kaidan is the definition of complete "Hotness" :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this yet but I had a chance to pick it up and instead settled for Shatter Me. Regretting it! I want to see what all the fuss is about haha. Liked the review. I have to ask though, are you really tied on Stefan and Damon in your teams? ;)

    -Alise http://bookblondes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely pick this one up- I was a bit skeptical at first but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Aha, it's the TV show that made me completely confused between Stefan and Damon! In the books I've always preferred Stefan, but the T.V. show keeps pushing me towards Damon! If anything my confusion allows me to post both their pics on the site- win win in my opinion ;P I'm now following your blog by the way !

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Oh, I understand. Damon in the show is almost irresistible.

      Delete
  3. Love, love, LOVE the quotes. I really want to read this one now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end is a little heartbreaking. It feels a little like evil has won. But, this book sets up what I expect to be a much larger battle to come, and I’m already diving into the second book.

    Zia
    Heard about Redmond Reverse Mortgage

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...