Jan 14, 2013

Memory Lane Monday: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Yes, it is that time of the week. The day we dread and wish would never come- Mondays. *Wipes tear* But have no fear, Memory Lane Monday is here! Every Monday, here at TheYABookworm, I'll do a special post called Memory Lane Monday. What's that you ask? Memory Lane Monday is a once-a-week post where I (or any other bloggers that wish to participate)  choose one book that I've previously read to be featured on that day. From the book chosen, I will pick two of my favourite quotes and write a little blurb containing my quick thoughts on the book. The books that I choose will not be books I've reviewed- since I've read so many books, I want to share with you my opinions on ones that I won't get the chance to fully review (because seriously, rereading dozens of books would take a year...or two)! Be sure to participate by leaving your "Memory Lane Monday" in the comments, or a link to your blog post with the hash-tag #YAMemoryLaneMonday on twitter :D
This Week's Memory Lane Monday...
Shatter Me By: Tahereh Mafi


Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Top Two Favourite Quotes...
#1 “I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.” 

#2“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.” 

With Unravel Me (Shatter me #2) coming out on February 5th , and ARC Reiews starting to pop up on the web, I thought now would probably be a good time to share my thoughts on Shatter Me with you guys--Memory Lane Monday style ;)

Shatter Me was actually one of my favourite books of 2011-- the storyline drew me right in and so did Adam and Warner  (Don't ask me what team I'm on though because that has yet to be decided :P) Juliette's ability to kill people with her simple touch is so epic and bad-ass, I just could't help absolutely loving her! One of the things that I found most unique about this book was Tahereh's writing style. At first, I'm not going to lie, it took me a while to get used to it, but once I did.....*bows down to Tahereh*....it was beautiful :') 

I'm really looking forward to reading Unravel Me (as I'm sure you are to)! If you are anxiously waiting for February 5th to get here, be sure to read Destroy Me, the Shatter Me novella in Warner's POV....I have yet to read it, but I definitely will be before I dive into book two! Happy Monday!

Your Y.A. Bookworm,
Caitlin <3

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Shatter Me! Did you read the novella as well? Tahereh Mafi's writing is absolutely fantastic. It's so descriptive and beautiful so I agree with the bowing. And I like you, can't wait for Unravel Me!

    -Reya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't gotten to the novella yet-- my TBR pile is seriously taller than me at the moment, lol! But I'm hoping to fit it in soon before Unravel Me! I've heard the novella has been swaying people to Team Warner so I'm VERY intrigued ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...