Aug 12, 2013

Memory Lane Monday: Poison Princess by Kresley Cole


Yes, it is that time of the week. The day we dread and wish would never come- Mondays. *Wipes tear* But have no fear, Memory Lane Monday is here! Every Monday, here at TheYABookworm, I'll do a special post called Memory Lane Monday. What's that you ask? Memory Lane Monday is a once-a-week post where I (or any other bloggers that wish to participate)  choose one book that I've previously read to be featured on that day. From the book chosen, I will pick two of my favourite quotes and write a little blurb containing my quick thoughts on the book. The books that I choose will not be books I've reviewed- since I've read so many books, I want to share with you my opinions on ones that I won't get the chance to fully review (because seriously, rereading dozens of books would take a year...or two)! Be sure to participate by leaving your "Memory Lane Monday" in the comments, or a link to your blog post with the hash-tag #YAMemoryLaneMonday on twitter :D
~~~~~

This Week's Memory Lane Monday...
Poison Princess By: Kresley Cole

Sixteen-year-old Evie Greene’s horrific hallucinations predicted the apocalypse, and the end of the world brought her all sorts of new powers. With the earth scorched and few survivors, Evie teams up with handsome and dangerous Jack Deveaux in a race to find answers. They discover that that an ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of teens have been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side…
Top Two Favourite Quotes...
#1 “If you touch me like that again, Evangeline,” he began in a husky tone, dropping to his seat once more, “in the space of a heartbeat, I will have you off this bike and onto the closest horizontal surface. And I woan be picky, no.” 

#2 The corners of his lips curled for an instant before he grew serious again. "You asked me if I had that phone with your pictures, if I'd looked at it. Damn right, I did! I saw you playing with a dog at the beach, and doing a crazy-ass flip off a high dive, and making faces for the camera. I learned about you"- his voice grew hoarse -"and I wanted more of you. To see you every day." With a humourless laugh, he admitted, "After the Flash, I was constantly sourcing ways to charge a goddamned phone--that would never make a call."



I murmured, "I didn't know...I couldn't be sure."

"It's you for me, peekon.” 



     Poison Princess by Kresley Cole is one of those novels that have left me with very mixed feels....I'm not sure if I hate to like it, or like to hate it.....I'm very confused despite the fact that I've been marinating over it for a few days now. A large part of this confusion is a result of the romantic storyline in this novel which, because of its emphasis in the plot, plays a large part in my feelings for the book as a whole. When I first read the synopsis, I had the impression Jack was this bad boy with a hidden good heart that would make me absolutely love him (think Daemon Black, Kaidan Rowe-- cocky, smooth, swoonderful, romantic, but very dangerous and veryyy bad). However, although I did feel this was the character that was trying to be created, I feel like Jack, dare I say, was a little too bad and not in the sexy way. I'm going to quote Wendy Higgins here (who may I add really liked Poison Princess, read her review here) in saying that if you don't like alpha males as a love interest, you're not going to enjoy Poison Princess. Seeing as I typically see snippets of alpha male qualities in many YA couples I read about, I thought I'd enjoy this couple but alas, snippets is the key word here. Jack had some good moments but I find it hard to say those moments erase the very off way Jack treats Evie. Examples include pressuring her to have sex with him, putting her down, ect, ect...As a result of these events, I found my respect for Evie lowering and lowering for simply putting up with Jack's crap-ola.

     As for the rest of the plot, I can say that I enjoyed it. The prologue is both creepy and incredibly intriguing and the ending goes out with a bang (almost dramatic enough to make me consider picking up book two when it releases in October). The one thing I did find hard to get through, as I've seen other reviewers talk about as well, is how long it takes to get to the apocalypse part of the storyline. I kid you not there was about 100 pages of pre-apocalyptic events that dragged on. I feel like this portion of the book was meant to develop that intense tension between Jack and Evie, as well other relationships that readers would be able to connect to, but it seemed a tad too much. 

     Overall I can't say I'd recommend Poison Princess just because there were too many things that bothered me while reading. That being said, I'm going back and forth about whether or not I'll be reading Endless Knight (Arcana Chronicles #2). The synopsis for book two implies a love triangle that I can't say does anything to increase my chances of reading it, but who knows....Have you read Poison Princess? What do you think about Jack? Be sure to let me know in the comments below! Keep Reading!

Your Y.A. Bookworm,
Caitlin <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...