Oct 21, 2013

Memory Lane Monday: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan


Yes, it is that time of the week. The day we dread and wish would never come- Mondays. *Wipes tear* But have no fear, Memory Lane Monday is here! Every Monday, here at TheYABookworm, I'll do a special post called Memory Lane Monday. What's that you ask? Memory Lane Monday is a once-a-week post where I (or any other bloggers that wish to participate)  choose one book that I've previously read to be featured on that day. From the book chosen, I will pick two of my favourite quotes and write a little blurb containing my quick thoughts on the book. The books that I choose will not be books I've reviewed- since I've read so many books, I want to share with you my opinions on ones that I won't get the chance to fully review (because seriously, rereading dozens of books would take a year...or two)! Be sure to participate by leaving your "Memory Lane Monday" in the comments, or a link to your blog post with the hash-tag #YAMemoryLaneMonday on twitter :D

This Week's Memory Lane Monday...
Unspoken By: Sarah Rees Brennan 
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.                                                                                                      
But all that changes when the Lynburns return.                                                                             
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?


Top Two Favourite Quotes...
#1 “What the hell is going on?" demanded Kami's dad, advancing with his black eyes snapping. Jared blurted, "My intentions are honourable."

Kami sat up straight in her bed and stared in Jared's direction. "Are you completely crazy?" she wanted to know. "This isn't the eighteenth century. How do you think that's going to help?"

"Well, I mean," Jared said, back against the wall like a cornered animal. "When we're older. I mean"

"Please shut up," Kami begged.

"I agree with Kami," said Dad. "When you're in an abyss-like hole, quit digging.”

#2 Angela spared a glare for Kami, and then resumed her marathon glaring session at Jared. 'It's too weird. I'm going to call you Carl.'

Jared scowled. 'I don't want you to call me Carl.'

'That's interesting, Carl,' said Angela, cheering up


~~~~~

     I think I've learned by lesson (I say hopefully) about judging books based off their cover! When I originally saw Unspoken being featured on "prime look-at-me shelving" at my local bookstore, I never gave it a second glance. For some reason, the original cover did nothing to pull me in despite the good things people said about this novel. However, recently the cover for the series changed and I picked up this novel not knowing it was a novel I had brushed off for the past year (and now that I really think about it, the first cover does a better job at showcasing the fun side of this novel). *sigh*

     Unspoken is a funny, light-hearted read that had me constantly giggling. The characters are witty and although there was someone trying to kill Kami, there was this feathery-light air to the novel that is uncommon in paranormal books. I'd say the overall feel of the novel (not the plot) resembles closely to to the Paranormalcy trilogy by Kierstien White. The characters are witty, loveable and contagious. 
New Unspoken Cover

     Initially, Unspoken seems to be one of those novels where the scary family moves back into town and with them comes along a hot guy that the main heroine can't help but fall for. In some ways Unspoken resembles this overdone cliche, but there's so much more to its story-line! Kami shares a connection with Jared that lets them both know all of each other's thoughts (even the ones they'd prefer no one knew). Before the Lynburn family moves into town, Kami thinks Jared is just a figment of her imagination, but when he pops into her life, she realizes he is very real. This starts a snowball effect of unanswered questions, strange happenings, and serious threats that Kami is determined to defend herself and those she loves against.

     Unspoken is a really cute read with a plot that kept me interested and looking forward to finding out what's next. The Lynburn Legacy continues with Untold which is out now. I hope to get around to it once I put a good dent in my scary TBR pile! Have you read Unspoken? Do you like reading novels with good amounts of comedy thrown in? Be sure to let me know in the comments below! Keep Reading!

Your Y.A. Bookworm,
Caitlin <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...